Drachenfels (Bad Dürkheim) Stretch: 10 km, Elevation 570m

As a team, we finally narrowed it down to this spot for trekking. We, as usual packed all the necessary stuffs; by necessary, I mean here, of course, the eatables, rest for us if of least importance. We boarded in two cars, and on the way, we picked Shan and Nithya, who wanted to experience their first “Wandern into the jungle”. After a 45-min drive to the destination, where we crossed small towns and hills, we left the cars at the parkplatz and moved on following our trekking lead, Suba, who led us the path with a map in his mobile.

The first stretch of 2 km was hard, and most of our energy was dispelled by the time, we were done with this stretch. As, the elevation kept on growing, we paused for several minutes on the way to grasp for some air, before embarking further, until we arrived at a spot (where a platform has been setup, to have a beautiful view of the surrounding landscape), envisaging the entire Pfälzer wald. If not for this spot, we wouldn't have zeroed on this location. We halted here for a while, took some groupies and selfies, Suba immersed himself with its surroundings for a while, soaking himself in, with the landscapes, took few minutes, to enjoy the vast beauty that lied ahead.

Once, this was accomplished, it was time for our next best stop, Mittagspause. We found ourselves seating nearby a tree, emptying the loads of snacks from our backs and enjoying the meal which each of us had packed for the day. A, small laughter broke-out, trying to explain the reasons, why Shan’s backpack was so heavy from the rest of us, even though it had only some dessert, and it could be blamed solely on Nithya (Paara Patcham Paakkaama Kooda Vechu Senjitaley!).

As, I was unwell, during the day, it had just gotten worse, after the meal. I, hardly, had any energy after this, and I was just happy that we were a few hours away from finishing where we started. On the way, down, every time after an argument broke-out, for which way to follow further, Pradeep and Dolly, will come up with an alternative, ridiculing Suba, before we decided on our way. We were walking underneath huge heaps of tall trees, mostly barren and dry, surrounded by both sides. We encountered a small cave like spot, an ideal spot for bonfire.

The guys started teasing me, by the look of my face and the way I walked, with total silence, sparked a few laughter or so, of how they have never ever, seen me, in such condition before.

A few hours down the lane, we reached a restaurant, to have some drinks and I had no interest to feed my stomach nor the stomach had any interest to bring it back to normal, the struggle continued. The trekking route downhill was less tiring and energy consuming, yet it had taken a toll on me. The final hours of our trekking, for me were comforting, for the sole reason, that it must come to an end, sooner or later, as we were just looking for the sight of our parked cars, hoping to catch-up anytime sooner. The tall trees, that encompassed the pathway, made it difficult for the sun to pierce through, was to our relief, made the journey less tiring.

Just a few meters before the end, we halted again at a restaurant to sip in for a few calories, for what might be the only few, we might have burned-up today:). Ice-creams, latté macchiato, pommes and not to mention the delicacy Rhabarber Kuchen were ordered.

By the time we reached our cars, I was just eager to drive-out as soon as possible and rest for the day. Palani and Pradeep, favorably, offered me their help, to let them drive so that I could better rest for the next 45 min trip back home. I, insisted on, to stay behind the wheels, just focusing on the road and with a tired look on my face, was happy to reach Suba’s place and hit the couch.


I hope you guys enjoyed this and I am looking forward for many such adventures:) together.

Comments

Unknown said…
Nice post Suri. As I was reading through your post, I remembered a couple of moments which brought lot of smile on my face. Especially, "oru kaiyai tane pocket le irundhu veliye eduthe thalaivar, Vazhga vazhga" :-)
Nithiyaa said…
Nicely narrated.. Suri kulla ivlo theramaya? Awesome!!
Scortarius said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Fahrrad tour - Into the country side

Euro-cstasy